Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Kaleidoscope Maker


Emily was the only daugther of a kaleidoscope shop owner in Millan, Italy. She used to see how her dad make kaleidoscope since she was a child, she was always curious about the magic of the mirrors, the way they reflect and how happy can they make one person be. She made her first Kaleidoscope when she was five. She remember she cut her finger and her dad was so nervous and he broke more mirror when he started to run around looking for plasters. From that day onwards, there is always box of plaster glued on the wall.

When Emily was 21 her dad passed away and left her the shop and very limited of money. She stopped college and became a kaleidoscope maker just like her father. Nor matter how hard her life is, she still do her best to secure the one and only shop that her dad left to her.

The bell that she hanged on the door knob rang, she raised her head and she saw a gentleman walked in.

He thought that this is the most unique shop he ever been to. This shop is mainly made of wood and lots of different kind of kaleidoscope in this shop. There were round kaleidoscope, square kaleidoscope, kaleidoscope table lamp, kaleidoscope key chains and even... a kaleidoscope carousel. He wanted to touch it but someone stopped him.

"Sorry sir, that is only for display." She said

"Ohh... " He didn't notice that a girl was sitting there.

"Can I know what kind of kaleidoscope you are looking for?" She asked

"Um.. I am going to Australia soon, I want to get a kaleidoscope for my niece." He said

"I see, then I will recommend you to get a kaleidoscope bracelet for her." She walked to the a cupboard and took a few bracelet for him to choose.

"Actually is not a real kaleidoscope but we used the same concept to make it. I believe she will love it." She smiled

"She is a 12 years old kid, which one you think she will like it? You know, I am not really good at this." He said

"The pink one I guess." She said

"Then I will take the pink one, please." He smiled at her

She was amazes by his smile, he looks really charming at that moment.

"Is there anything wrong?" He asked because he saw she was stoned

"Oh.. I am so sorry. Do you need me to wrap it?" She asked

"Oh.. it would be great." He answered

These two weeks she cant stop thinking about him, especially his charming smile. Every time she looks at the kaleidoscope seems that she can see his face in it. It was really crazy and ridiculous, after her father passed away she didn't even have time to go for a date she was totally out of date and she even thought that she was a lesbian! However, thing just changed now. She is in love with a person that she only met once and don't even know if there's a chance to meet him again. She took the 1st kaleidoscope she made and started to look into it and again she saw his face but is kind of different with what she see.

"Excuse me." He said

"Ohh..." She was shocked

"Are you having fun with the kaleidoscope?" he laughed and asked

"Yea." She said shyly

"This kaleidoscope looks.... normal and childish." He said

"This is the first kaleidoscope I made." What do he expect a kid will do?

"Ohh... Can I have a look at it?" He asked

"The pattern is nice and 'childish' " He said

She didn't answered him and showing him a unhappy look

"I am sorry." He apologised

"So you went Australia? What did your niece said about the pink kaleidoscope bracelet?" She asked

"She love it. There is something she asked me to buy it for you." He handed her a very pretty box

"Oh... What is that?" She asked

"Open it." He said

She opened it and she saw a pair of very pretty heels.

"Oh.. how pretty. How much is it? " She asked

"Um.. Is a gift you see." He smiled

"But is not right to accept gift from stranger." She said

"Am I consider a stranger? I am your customer!" He said unhappily

"But.. it is still not right." She said

"Alright then why don't you teach me how to make a kaleidoscope bracelet?" He said

"Um.. alright, but is not easy, you have to learn how to make a basic one 1st." She said

"I learned how to make the basic one in high school." He said

"Oh but then, it's still different between the high school one and the basic one in a kaleidoscope shop." She said

"Alright then, I will come on everyday Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday at 7pm." He said

"Oh... ok." She obey him

He started his class and he find that she is a very special young lady. She is different from those women he met, she is pure and clever but a little clumsy because she always cut her finger. Every time when she cut her finger, he felt sorry to her fingers. He is kind of like fall in love with her.

"Today is the last class, why don't we have dinner after the class?" He said while he walking into the shop

"Oh... you are early today, I am having my dinner." She said

"You cooked?" Gosh.. did she burn down her kitchen?

"Yea... you want some? I cooked too much." She said

"Yeah.. why not." He sat down

"Emily, are you.. erm... available?" He asked

"What?" She looked at him

"I mean erm.. do you have any boy friend or you know, mayb husband?" He asked

"Oh... I get what you mean. No, I am single, and why are you asking me that?" She answered and asked

"Erm... Because erm... Because you see I am also single... and..." He was 'jammed'

"You are single so what?" She is not interested to be just someone before he found another better one!

"Emily I think... I am in love with you." He said

"You think!?" What do he mean by think!?

"Gosh.. I am not good at this... I mean I want to start a relationship with you. A serious one you know... you get what I mean?" He felt very helpless now

"Yea.. I totally understand." She said

"So?" He asked

"It depends on can you make something beautiful today." She said

"You know I cant!" After these few weeks of 'lessons' he really found out that he is not good at craft at all!!! He sucks on it!

She didn't said anything instead she smiled at him, and he knows that's the answer he wanted

No comments: